Black Powder Coating: What Is It and How Long Does It Last?
There are a few ways to finish metal surfaces. One of the more preferred options is black powder coating. This is because it’s versatile, durable, and attractive. Not only does it look nice, but it also protects against wear and corrosion. Let’s dive into what black powder coating is and how long you can expect it to last.
What is Black Powder Coating?
This process has gained a lot of popularity in various industries. From automotive to manufacturing, there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight for this method’s use. By means of powder coating tools, it starts by applying a free-flowing powder made from pigments and resins. Once heated, these powders fuse together into a hard finish that’s smooth and durable.
A deep rich black finish comes with black pigment variations of this process, which makes it highly functional and not just appealing to the eye. Why, though?
The Perks of Black Powder Coating
- Durability: It’s well known that black powder coating is durable. It’s resistant to scratches, chips, and fading. Allowing for a consistent, long-lasting look.
- Resistant to Corrosion: Outdoor and marine applications are the main victims of rust and corrosion. But with black powder coating, they have a robust defense against both.
- Earth Friendly: Unlike liquid paint, minimal waste is produced in the process of applying it, as well as reduces the number of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) released into the air.
- It can be Applied Anywhere: From steel, aluminum, and even non-metal materials like plastic— it can be used to coat just about anything you can think of.
- Aesthetically Pleasing: That deep black finish appeals to everyone’s eyes. When applied, you can expect your coated object to stand out from other objects near it.
- Cost-Effective: Yes, there is a slight initial cost compared to other methods, but in the long run— reduced maintenance and longer-lasting results make it an investment choice that will save you money later on down the line.
How Long Does Black Powder Coating Last?
Typically, the longevity of black powder coating is about 20 years. However, this number can change depending on a few different factors. Some of these include the quality of the initial application, the environment it’s in, and how well it’s maintained over time.
If you’re looking for something that lasts even longer, there are other options like urethanes and fluoropolymers. However, if applied correctly and maintained well, then you can expect powder coating to last for many years, even jumping over 10.
- Environmental Factors: Wherever you decide to put your coated item will play a big part in its lifespan. Conditions such as saltwater, UV radiation, or chemicals can all reduce its overall life.
- Maintenance: Just like anything else in life, if you don’t take care of it then it will deteriorate faster. Cleaning up and waxing regularly will go a long way to help extend its life.
- Thickness: How thick the coat is also plays into how long it’ll last. The more protection from damage that’s there.
- Application Method: The way that the powder is applied matters, too. Whether it was done electrostatically or by a fluidized bed can affect how much force is needed to ruin the coat.
There is so much life in black powder coats only when applied right and taken care of. With so many different uses, investing in black powder finishing can be a great idea if you want something to stay nice for a while. If you’re looking for a bold and long-lasting black finish, black powder coating may be exactly what you’re after.